How to Avoid Sleepless Nights
We all know that getting the right amount of sleep is important for living a healthy life. Allowing time to rest and sleep, and sleep deeply, is crucial for all of us.
In fact it is one of our most basic needs alongside food, water, shelter, and love. The better the sleep. The better we feel. The more positive we are. The more productive and engaging our lives.
Here's a quick checklist of five things to think about:
1. Sleeping Environment - You need peace and quiet.
Make sure your sleeping environment is conducive to Sleeping.Look around you, ask yourself these questions:
- Is your room dark enough?
- Do you feel cosy and protected in your sleeping area? Is the room warm (or cool) enough?
2. Sleeping Infrastructure - Beds, Pillows, Sheets, & Blankets - Comfort is essential.
Make sure the things you sleep with are comfortable for you.
- Does your bed offer you support?
- What type of mattress do you like?
- Is your pillow soft or firm enough?
3. Sleeping Attire - What you wear to bed can effect how you sleep.
Make sure you are comfortable for the sleep ahead. Think about whether your clothes will hinder your sleep or help it. Clothes that are tight fitting restrict your natural movements and prevent you fully relaxing.
- Are your clothes too tight?
- Can you freely move in your bed or do your clothes restrict you?
- Fitted waist bands too tight?
- Does your sleepwear keep your temperature right? Too hot - Too many layers? Too cold - Not enough layers?
4. Sleep Readiness - Are you ready to Sleep?
Make sure you are ready to sleep and prepare the things that will help you to sleep well.
- Are you feeling tired?
- Do you have any routines that relax you like having a bath before going to bed?
5. Sleep Positivity - Do you enjoy sleeping?
Preparing for sleep and taking active steps to enjoy your sleep are crucial steps to being positive about sleep.
Going to sleep marks the time in the day when your body can rejuvenate itself. It is the time that both the mind and body have to switch off.
Take a moment to think about sleep. Enjoy it.
- Have you prepared for your sleep? Are your pyjamas and sheets fresh?
- When you lie down in bed, ask yourself, how do I feel? Feel your body on the bed, allow your shoulders to rest on the mattress and close your eyes.
- Do your blankets keep you warm enough or are you too warm at night?
- Are you relaxed? Stop thinking about the day past or the day to come. Just breathe and relax.